Climate Change Resources
February 20, 2016 at 2:32 PM Sue Boudreau
How bad is climate change? How’s it caused? and What to do about it? Here are the key, scientifically reliable resources to complement the talk at Orinda Community Church “On Care for Our Common Home” series in February, 2016.
How Bad Is It?
- Effects on people – National Resources Defense Council “This is What Climate Change Looks Like 3.0” 2m
- Effects on oceans and the arctic already. Alliance for Climate Education “Ocean Acidification” 3m
- Graphs and animations of temperature changes: NASA “Global Climate Change Facts” web portal, NYTimes 2015 Hottest Year on Record article and NASA “Global Temperature Anomalies 18800 -2015” 0:30m
- Projections for the future – New Scientist Map.Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change projections.
2. How’s Climate Change Caused?
a. National Academy of Science, Engineering and Medicine “Lines of Evidence” 27m and NY Times “Short Answers to Hard Questions” interactive graphic
b. The Greenhouse Effect Explained
c. The Carbon Cycle
d. Where greenhouse gases come from GLOBALLY:
IPCC flow chart and per country and per capita footprint graphic:
Carbon dioxide levels and global temperature 1880-2010 from NASA/NOAA
e. Where Greenhouse Gasses come from in the US
f. Residential carbon footprints, food, transit, power etc.
3. What to do?
- Global Policy: Grist “The Paris Climate Negotiations Explained” 4:21m and the results in The Guardian, 12.14.2015
- The US: NASA ‘Solutions’ web page including energy innovation news
- California taking the lead in climate change policy: California Climate Change Portal
- Contra Costa and Orinda climate action in Contra Costa County Climate Leaders website.
- Personal choices: NY Times article: “What you can do about climate change”. and UC Berkeley “Cool Climate Network Carbon Calculator”
And the slide set as a pdf is PPT OCC Climate Change 2.2016.
Entry filed under: Energy Opportunities Project, Environmental Education, TAP Curriculum, Useful links. Tags: climate action, climate change, greenhouse effect, Orinda Community Church, Policy, powerpoint, presentation.